Friday, February 03, 2006

Memories LOST?!

The blunder of my lifetime!

Well maybe not that extreme but I'm still feeling emotional about it.

Two nights ago, in an attempt to weed out files that have been lying around on my laptop for months, I accindentally included the "My Pictures" folder and hit the "Del" key!

No, not just the "Del" key but also the shift key, for I am a computer genius who deletes files permanently and doesn't just trash them like the illiterate masses. I only realized what was happening a few seconds later when all the file names where whirring by out of the silly yellow folder icon and into oblivion.

In disbelief I quickly opened a few windows to assess the damage. All the countless pictures I took during my trip over the past 2 months in 6 different cities??? GONE! Yes, even the ones of the silly warning signs. I must have evoked a curse of some kind.

Fear not, I thought. These files are retrievable. All I need is a quick download of some recovery software and I'll be in business. After all, they do this in the movies all the time. Right. Six different software attempts later and I had retrieved almost all EXCEPT those most precious to me, those of my trip.

My only recourse now is to pray that a friend of mine had actually asked for a copy on CD before I left (I can't remember for sure).

Please, please please please let that be the case.

3 Comments:

Blogger Delirious said...

*Crossing my fingers!*

Del (without "shift"!)

9:47 AM, February 04, 2006  
Blogger Slink said...

Got my fingers crossed too! x

7:43 PM, February 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooemph.. Nasty. Happened to me too once, the whole laptop died on me. Two years of my life (photo's, chat logs), gone. That's why every night my computer copies my entire My Documents from C: to D:. Costs me about 3 gigabites, but worth it for sure...

6:58 PM, February 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home