Monday, December 19, 2005

Why they are called Buffalo wings

I am back in Cleveland now after a quick 5-day hop north to New York State.
Yup, the State.
No, I didn't get to see the city.

Why?

Well I was there to sit for 'interviews'.
I don't know why we call these visits to different hospitals and residency programs 'interviews'.
First of all, I don't know of any interview that starts at 8 am and continues for 7 hours, includes a lunch break and a one-hour tour, and when you finally do get to the Q&A part it sometimes includes discussions of which jet fighter in the U.S. air force is the 'coolest'. Honest.

So what have I accomplished in the past week? Well...

  1. I got to experience the Greyhound Bus mode of transportation for a buttocks-numbing 12 hours in total (more on that in the next post). That only leaves ferry rides and ballooning not yet explored.
  2. I got to stay at 2 hotels, one which had the word "inn" in its title and the other had the word "grande". Surprisingly, there was more grand in the inn than the grande (try to say that 10x quickly).
  3. I became a master bag-packer-unpacker, suit and all.
  4. I got to see Buffalo and Syracuse (and Buffalo was unexpectedly charming and surprisingly devoid of any big furry ruminating mammals. Well... some at the pub, but none in the wild)
  5. I got to meet an old friend who has sadly not changed at all.
  6. Learnt that white-out conditions literally mean that everything out is white, including the air 2 feet from your face.
  7. Got to see my aunt and cousin from Toronto (they drove to Buffalo in 2 hours) the day before my aunt became a grandma and my cousin an aunt.
  8. Made a new friend: an arm-amputee cab driver named "Jim".
  9. Had chicken wings at the Anchor Bar, the original birthplace of the "Buffalo wings" (now I get it).
  10. The interviews themselves of course.

The events back home were always on my mind.
Nothing I enjoy here is free from a sense of guilt, and a longing desire to be back home.

I will post more about all these experiences in the coming days...

7 Comments:

Blogger Jamal said...

Dude, you need to ship home some real Buffalo sauce.

My Dear Lebanon,Dolly's Ketchup with water and tabasco IS NOT Buffalo sauce.

4:03 PM, December 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wondered why they were called Buffalo Wings.

7:47 PM, December 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salamut tizik

9:49 PM, December 20, 2005  
Blogger Xylocaine said...

Hey Buffalo soldier, i bet they were delicious! we're tuned in so keep posting!!

11:36 PM, December 20, 2005  
Blogger Firas Wehbe said...

Salamit teezak ideed. Mayyil 3a nashville.

7:45 AM, December 31, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ramzi, happy new year...

my new blog address, in case you're interested, is http://blog.rrizk.com/

see you around...

10:44 PM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger Eve said...

New year's eve is over buddy, waynak??

1:45 PM, January 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home