Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Napkin Dialogue

This evening, as a friend and I were enjoying our drinks at one of Beirut's numerous pubs, a spontaneous discourse began unfolding on a paper napkin. Here is how it went:

I wrote:
Every blemish a story
scribed with pain
on faces plain
a tale of loss
of love, or glory

She wrote:
Empty places
empty faces
full glances
maybe the drink
can bring the shine?

I wrote:
Time heals all
a spring follows every fall
wait a while and you will see
whatever will be will be

She wrote:
Shall I cry, shall I smile?
Between the moment and the moment
a sorrow, a dry dream
glows in the sky

I wrote:
Inside alight with fire,
is it hunger or desire?
Giving you wings, you can fly
and kiss the dream in the sky

She wrote:
Fly, fly... no matter why
earth is too dull to wish for
a soul dying to die

I wrote:
In dreams we make our world
we are ever young, never old
the only way to dream forever
is to find someone and dream together

She wrote:
No one can dream for you,
We bring people into our dreams
but sometimes they steal them
and us with them...

She wrote the date on the bottom corner before she handed it back to me.
I tucked it away for safekeeping.
This will make for a precious memory someday...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty Ramzi. You are right to tuck it away... you will cherish such memories one day.

3:16 AM, May 04, 2005  
Blogger Eve said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:29 AM, May 04, 2005  
Blogger Eve said...

This blog misses the poet in you. Do we have to wait till you drink again so that we can enjoy your next poems? ;-)
Anyway, I loved the dialogue!

9:33 AM, May 04, 2005  
Blogger Slink said...

sounds beautiful... :) xx

7:16 PM, May 04, 2005  
Blogger Ramzi said...

I'll definitely keep it safe somewhere.
As for the drinks Eve, I don't know if they are requisite but they sure seem to help! I wonder what kind of napkin you and I would produce...

10:35 PM, May 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home