Sunday, October 16, 2005

So, we're...?

Another weekend spent in the suffocating confines of one city block.

The reason?

The whole climate in Beirut is that of trepidation and apprehension. And if the citizens of this city state are anything like my friends and I, then they have probably gone through this same hesitant indecision:

Lets go to such a thing at that such place
Yes, we haven't done that in a long time
- So, we're going -
Isn't that near the scene of that car explosion?
No, that was at least 2 streets away
Right, but still...
- So, we're not going -
Come on, that won't happen there
They've never targeted civilians so far
Yeah, that's true. Good, we're safe
- So, we're going -
I just heard on the news that the country is in a de facto emergency situation
Didn't you see all the troops deployed on the streets?
Yeah... Hmmm.
- So, we're not going -
I'm not spending the whole weekend at home
I need to get out, vent, have a breather
Besides, look at the streets! They're bustling with people
- So, we're going -
Damn, I forgot I have guests coming over tonight, I can't make it
Oh, well forget it. Next weekend for sure eh?
Besides, maybe it's better we cancelled. It's not safe
Yeah, I know...
- So, we're not going -


In all probability nothing would have happened. And indeed nothing did happen. It was not the rational fear of harm in itself, but rather the singular worry that, had something happened, the whole incident would have been so completely avoidable that was hanging heavily on our minds.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you. - Eric Hoffer

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How unfair to be a prisoner in your own country...city...home! The evil have managed if not always by a bomb or threat to frighten the people...and in doing so they have stopped the people from going out to visit...shop...entertain...live!!

So they have stopped the life...I just wish they would stop with this "we will rule over you" "we will still make you prisoner"

When will it be enough?

Peace

11:31 PM, October 16, 2005  
Blogger Ramzi said...

I fear it will not stop until it's either destroyed or achieves its purpose.
I'm hoping for the former...

5:23 PM, October 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home