Sunday, April 09, 2006

Hand me that wrench!

I have always found the job description of a physician and an auto-mechanic strikingly similar. And a pediatrician even more so. I'm not implying that human life and a vehicle are equally valuable, just that the work environment of a mechanic is surprisingly familiar to mine.

How?

Well, to name a few things:
  • Your 'patient' often arrives in a big vehicle with flashing lights
  • You need a detailed history of the symptoms and past troubles
  • You have a 'patient' that can't speak or describe anything
  • Your 'patient' is likely to leak smelly filthy substances which you diligently collect and analyze
  • Overheating is always a bad sign
  • Yearly check-ups are crucial to avoid problems
  • In the waiting room sit the anxious worrying 'parents' with many questions
  • Insurance companies dictate what you can and cannot do
  • The bill is usually much more than they expect, but they pay anyway
Still, when I saw this in another visit to a Beirut car repair shop, I couldn't help but feel this parallel is getting a little scary:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good approach!!!!
My father always used to say i'm taking the car to the "doctor"....
But the questions is: what to call doctors? GARAGISTES????

3:27 PM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger Zanzounito said...

good parallelism, i don't like to say that our bodies are machines because that seems like an unsensitive approach to the human body, but it so is!

12:10 AM, April 10, 2006  
Blogger Xylocaine said...

Doc, as long as you don't get left over screws and parts...go ahead open that trunk!!

6:24 AM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Delirious said...

Yeah, I always say I'm taking my car to the doctor... except it'd cost less in an actual hospital than at the mechanic's! Or maybe the problem is my car? Hummm... now I have something to ponder for the rest of the day.

3:06 PM, April 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home