Sunday, May 29, 2005

Beirut Votes

The Beirut elections kicked off yesterday and the first round has been won by the opposition! I say the opposition because to me that is what they are and I am not a member of any political party. I don't feel like debating this issue because I am frankly tired of endless debate and rhetoric.

I'm happy, really! I'm not ecstatic though - because I was confident of this outcome. But I don't think that detracts from the significance of this victory in any shape or form. If you are feeling disappointed or unimpressed I can think of only 3 possible reasons:
  1. You lost! (Democracy sucks eh?)
  2. You have a severly short attention span! (I know the law is flawed, but have you seriously forgotten that this is the first free election?!)
  3. You're Aoun! Sigh. Dude. Seriously. Even flipping a coin gives you a 50% chance of making a right decision. So obviously that's not your think-tank's strategy. Are you trying to reverse-psychologize us? So that we think that you think what we think about you is not what we think you think... wait, I'm lost. I just don't get you!

Finally - and I want to seriously stress this - I demand an apology from the following:

- Saad Hariri: He must apologize for being so damn popular. Sore losers are unbearable and he's now directly responsible for creating scores of them. If you thought they were a pain to listen to before, you should hear them now!

- LBCI: This Lebanese TV station prides itself on bringing us the latest in reality programming. So imagine my disappointment when my television set fails to spray actual venom during their newscasts. I still get the hissing serpent impression, but it's still too virtual. At least a rattling tail or something...

3 Comments:

Blogger Eve said...

I'm not sure Saad is the popular one, rather the way he exploited his father's death is; but in politics, everything is allowed.

well, I can't say I'm totally unhappy with his winning, but there was really no competition, no?

btw, concerning the animation in the sidebar, I think voting this Sunday will take place only in the South.

2:11 PM, May 30, 2005  
Blogger Ramzi said...

Eve

Thanks for the animation clarification, I don't know how I got that mixed up! It's fixed.

You are entitled to your own political views of course, but do you really think Saad Hariri exploited his father's death? His father did not 'die', he was assassinated. And the criminals are still at large and may even be in positions of power as we speak. It HAD to factor into the political equation and avoiding it I think was impossible. 'Exploited' implies using something unrelated to serve your own interests, which is not the case here. Again, this is only my opinion...

5:59 PM, May 30, 2005  
Blogger cfw said...

maybe i'm just a sucker, but i believe that saad entered politics out of love for his father, family, and country. his popularity is undoubtedly due to grief over shahid rafik's death, but that doesn't mean he isn't sincere.

i only hope saad turns out to be a good politician, and proves himself worthy of this popular support on his own right by channelling his passions into creating a better future for lebanon.

3:26 AM, June 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home