Thursday, March 17, 2005

Calm before the storm (updated)

*****UPDATE***** March 19
Last night at 1 am, a car bomb exploded in one of the northern suburbs of Beirut.
No fatalities, 11 people injured.
I wrote in my post below that I felt something shocking was being prepared. I wish I were wrong.
******************

It's astonishing what a million-man-protest can do to a political scene!

The rhetoric has died down all of a sudden, so have the personal attacks.
Pro-government protest have been cancelled.
Daily life is (dare I say it?) taking back some of its old routine.

Something tells me this is just the calm before the storm.
A transient lull before a major battle?

All of this... started on Feb 14th.
I look back at my last posts and I'm astonished! On Feb 13th, I was ranting about how horror movies were so implausible, how death no longer scares us.
How did it all get so political, so quickly?!
Ah yes... I remember. A massive explosion.
Death became real again.

The more events escalate the easier it is to forget how it all started.
The blue "Ribbons For Truth" started as a modest sign of solidarity, and now they're an emblem of defiance.
Spontaneous candle vigils are now publicized declarations of protest.
TV channels which were unanimously carrying images of grief, are now blaring towers of propaganda.
People don't watch movies anymore, they watch televised debates.
We eat, live and breathe politics.

We've come a long way. A lot of grief and tears, a lot of strength and glory.
But... in a way, I miss Feb 13.
I miss the dull, unbelievable, predictable, stupid, silly horror movies...

3 Comments:

Blogger Eve said...

Whoever is doing that surely hates LEBANON in a way that goes beyond imagination. But trying to disperse us will not work. So, be sure that your fears will prove to be wrong (no offense)..

12:18 PM, March 19, 2005  
Blogger Slink said...

sorry to hear about that ramzi.

9:31 PM, March 19, 2005  
Blogger Solomon2 said...

Q: How did it all happen so quickly?

A: Somebody killed your king.

Harari was a king in that it was he who rebuilt Beirut - and more - after the civil war. One historian, Louis Mumford I think, wrote that the first duty of kings is to build cities.

11:45 PM, March 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home